Quinoa Rice Pudding

reading time: ca. 1 min




Preparation time: 25 mins
Main ingredients: quinoa, soy milk
difficulty level: easy
serves: 2
suitable for: vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, nut-free, low-fat

Have you jumped on the quinoa bandwagon yet? This gluten-free, high fiber, complete protein of a grain has become mainstream and quite popular over the last couple of years, especially among vegans and hipster people like me. Nevertheless, it's been a fairly recent addition to my menu plan, and so far I've only used it as a savoury replacement for rice or pasta.

After making several rice puddings, such as the Coconut Rice Pudding and the simple Rice Pudding with home-made apple sauce, as well as the Millet Rice Pudding, I wanted to experiment with Quinoa Rice Pudding. Which is basically just quinoa cooked in milk instead of water (note: if you use coconut milk, it will get a lot creamier!), and served sweet instead of savoury (so basically the opposite of my Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry).
Christmas is just around the corner, so I ate mine with a wintry assembly of home-made apple pear sauce (made from the pears from my parents' pear tree), cinnamon, walnuts and some dark almond chocolate. I mean, what's better on a cold dim day than a warm bowl of quinoa with apple sauce and chocolate melting on top of it... mmmmh!

Ingredients

1 cup of quinoa * 
2 1/2 cups of milk of your choice - i'm using soy rice milk

Toppings:
Sweetener of your choice such as maple syrup
Walnuts + cinnamon to garnish
Apple sauce
Dark almond chocolate

Optional and additional condiments:

- shredded coconut
- nut slices (almonds...)
- seeds (chia, poppy, flax...)
- raisins
- ginger
- cardamom
- nutmeg
- orange or lemon peel
- vanilla
- brown sugar or coconut sugar
- cocoa powder
- saffron
- fruit slices

...

* dry and uncooked, that is.

quinoa, rice pudding, dessert, breakfast, recipe, vegan, gluten-free, applesauce

Instructions

Bring your plant milk to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn down the heat, add your quinoa, stirring frequently. Let simmer on low heat and keep stirring.

In the meantime you could either make your apple sauce (recipe over here) or just nibble on some chocolate, like i did.

After about 20 to 25 minutes the fluid should be completely absorbed and your quinoa nice and fluffy, in other words: done. 

Sweeten and garnish to your liking (i used cinnamon, walnuts, pear apple sauce and a piece of chocolate), cuddle up in your favourite jumper, an armchair, a fluffy blanket or your bed, look forward to Christmas, get excited, and enjoy!

quinoa, rice pudding, dessert, breakfast, recipe, vegan, gluten-free
me, maisy, portrait

Also - as this turns into something a little more personal than my usual recipe posts - me and my two best friends L. and K. from my home town took a little train trip to the sea a while ago, and i wanted to share some pictures of the three of us :)

girls, blonde, blond, brunette, pretty, friends, friendship
girls, blonde, blond, brunette, pretty, friends, friendship
girls, blonde, blond, brunette, pretty, friends, friendship, sea, shore

Christmas is just around the corner, and I'm still in South Africa with my boyfriend visiting his mother and her husband. This is a scheduled post, a most of the December posts as I am backpacking & not having stable internet, so I'm speaking to you from the past ;) 

And I hope you'll have a very merry Christmas tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, spending the holidays with your friends and family, boyfriend or girlfriend, cat, dog, guinea pig, or just yourself.

I'm probably gonna spend my Christmas at the beach, but hopefully a sunnier one than the one above, lol. Stay save! I'll be back in a week.

Lots of love and chocolate cookies ~


Maisy



(\(\
( - -)
((') (')

Popular