Day Zero Project: update 18


"Live, Laugh, Love." ~ Clay Walker


The Day Zero Project.

101 tasks in 1001 days.

Update 18



Starts: June 19, 2013

Ends: March 16, 2016


Tasks achieved so far: 61/101


Education

01. Graduate College []
02. Get a job (or a traineeship)
03. Learn to change a tire
04. Learn the alphabet in sign language Spanish []
05. Get a frickin driver's licence


Home

06. Buy a plant and try to keep it alive until the Day Zero Project is over
07. Get my own apartment
08. Plant a windowsill herb garden []
09. Redecorate and/or renovate my room []
10. Start a compost bin
11. Get a (white metal) bed []
12. Paint one wall or door an outrageous colour []

[Painting my wall bright turquoise was a necessary part of making this room my own, as the former choice of colour was my ex-boyfriend's, not mine. Now it's mine and i'm super happy with it :) It's just a great, satisfying feeling do get physically active and achieve something like successfully painting a wall. Yeah, i'm a little proud of myself, hehe. Read about the painting process over here.]

13. Plant tomatoes and or other fruit and vegetables []


[Look! Tomatoes!! Well, at least one tiny tomato. And it was so sweet and delicious! Ever since this photo, five more tomatoes have become ripe to eat, and there are even more growing right now!]


Health & Happiness

14. Donate blood (or hair) for a good cause (I'm anaemic)
15. Learn the basic Yoga positions []
16. Quit coffee and sell my coffee machine [♥] 
17. Make raw vegan ice cream [♥]
18. Quit facebook/the internet/my laptop for a week [♥]
19. Make a list of 101 quotes that inspire me []
20. Make a list of 25 things I like about myself []
21. Go barefoot for a whole day []
22. Write a letter to myself to open in 10 years []
23. Write all my bad memories on paper, burn this paper afterwards []
24. Think of the top 5 people who have positively influenced me and write each of them a letter [3/5]

[So. It took me some time to sit down and think of the five people - not to mention composing a letter to each of them. There are so many people in my life that have had a positive influence of some sort on me, so i  specified this task to people who "changed" me and "made me a better person", sort of.
- The first (electronic) letter goes to the German author Jenny-Mai Nuyen who is only three years older than me and has always been an inspiration and motivation for me to keep on writing. 
- One letter to my friend E., who has had a major influence on me. Not only positive, also negative (it was her who drove me into my eating disorder, and it was her who showed me that i didn't want to be as sick and twisted as her at that time), but eventually we managed to "grow apart" after things got too intense. Now that we have both developed at our pace and healed for the most part (at least me), we can return to our friendship again. Therefore, she helped me realise my illness and helped me recover. 
- And one letter to my brother and best friend R. who has changed me from being tense and testy during school to being myself, bubbly, open and happy. It happened over time, but he is definitely the one who opened me up after hiding in a shell for a long time.]

25. Make a list of 101 things that make me happy [♥]


Family & Friends []


26. Make a marzipan birthday cake for someone dear to me []
27. Surprise my mum with flowers []
28. Send Christmas cards to friends and family []
29. Cook a nice dinner for my parents []
30. Have a family picnic in the woods []
31. Visit my childhood home []
32. Contact my estranged granddad before he dies []


Creativity

33. Start a blog []
34. Decorate a mug or bowl with a sharpie
35. Draw a self-portrait
36. Buy a disposable camera and take 1 picture every day for a month []
37. Start a sketchbook and fill it with drawings and quotes and own scribblings []


38. Write my first screenplay
39. Illustrate a story I've written []
40. Write and illustrate a graphic novel
41. Read 1 book every week (a.k.a 52 books in a year) [110/143]

http://be-alice.blogspot.com/2015/10/maisy-september-2015.html

[read: Briefe in die chinesische Vergangenheit (Letters back to Ancient China) by Herbert Rosendorfer (a 10th-century Chinese mandarin travels to the 20th Century in his time machine, and writes letters home reporting on the strange land of "Zha-ma-ni", in which he is surrounded by giants with big noses, and frightened by the iron carriages called "mo-tao-ka". This was soo funny! at least for German readers perhaps), Wildwood by Colin Meloy (brilliant book! i've written a review over here), Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch, Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch, Broken Homes by Ben Aaronovitch, The Papalagi by Erich Scheurmann (re-read, but this time with my boyfriend, we read it to each other in turns), Under Wildwood by Colin Meloy (still reading it, but i'm gonna include it here anyway). 33 to go!]

42. Participate in NaNoWriMo []
43. Make British scones and clotted cream
44. Design an outfit
45. Make cookie monster cupcakes []
46. Write a song (and sing it to somebody)
47. Write a poem
48. Make a handmade greeting card [] 
49. Cook 5 meals from 5 different cultures [] 
50. DIY an outfit (t-shirt print?) or sew my own piece of clothing (dress/top/jacket) []


Look what i made! A unicorn shirt! How did this happen? I don't really know. We went to a friend's birthday get-together, and it somehow turned into a children's birthday party, with rope skipping, hopscotch and all that (we're all in our twenties, lol), and then we also started to play around with textile colours, and i ended up drawing this unicorn sticker onto a white t-shirt after another friend had drawn a random rainbow on the shirt to test out if the pens were still working. 

So yeah. There we go. Unicorn shirt. Awesome! 

By the way, the little guy on his smiley cloud is called "Horny" a) because of his horn and b) because we were in a very childish mood when we made him, whoops!


[Lol, excuse my face in the right photo, i had actually no idea i was already taking a picture at that moment, soo... weird zombie expression and crazy patterned yoga leggings and unicorn shirts for the win!]

51. Make a comic strip
52. Draw a nice little background sketch for my blog wallpaper [
]

click to enlarge
[Yay! I'm so happy to have my personalized blog banner now! Alice-themed and hand-drawn by me :)

Actually this Alice in Wonderland doodle was created way back in May 2014, but i never thought of turning it into a banner until now. So i polished it up a bit using photoshop, arranged the pieces of the original sketch in a horizontal line, and placed my old title right in the centre of it. Neat, don't you think? I do like it a lot!]
 
53. DIY an Advent calender and give it to someone as a present
54. Construct a detailed zombie apocalypse plan
55. Make my own earrings []
56. Make my own handbag (or notebook bag)  
57. Write/Finish a novel


Fun

58. Go to a festival
[]
59. Have a bonfire at the beach
60. Go strawberry picking [♥]
61. Read the Lord of the Rings (1087 pages) []
62. Read all of the Akira graphic novels (2146 pages) [
]
63. Go swimming in the sea at night / go skinny dipping
64. Build a proper sandcastle [
]
65. Build a decent snow(wo)man [
]
66. Sleep under the stars
67. Make a chalk mural in the driveway [
]


[Seems like i always do fun things like building "snow(wo)man / witch / pig thingies" or sandcastles or drawing this chalk mural when i'm on vacation, lol! The chalk mural was created on our vacation to Tyrol in Austria in August, in the driveway of our holiday apartment. It wasn't entirely my doing though - just as with the snow(wo)man and the sandcastle, my boyfriend helped me :)]

  

68. Dance in the rain []
69. Get a tattoo
70. Do a vintage tea party

71. Bake and build a gingerbread house []
72. Watch the sunrise and sunset in the same day
[] 
73. Leave an inspirational note inside a book for whoever will find it []
74. Host a mystery dinner party
75. Plant a tree on Earth Day
[]
76. Tie a note (or a secret) to a balloon and let it go [
]
77. Spend 24 hours in a 24-hour café
78. Carve a pumpkin (and make pumpkin soup pumpkin spice latte!) []
79. Make berry jam [♥]
 

80. Learn how to juggle (with three balls)
81. Open a cookbook to a random page and make whatever is on it []
82. Wear a free-hugs sign or shirt for a day
83. Organize a clothing swap party
84. Bake a big-ass rainbow cake []
85. Make fortune cookies []
86. Take a photo of the same place every month for a year and turn that into a calendar [8/12]

August 2015



September 2015


October 2015


87. Make macarons []
88. Send a book or story to a publisher []


[I know, I already ticked this off, but i didn't want this to go unmentioned because a) i am getting published again, though only in a local literature magazine, but i'm not complaining, and b) i actually had the opportunity to participate in a public reading at the biggest event of my home town (für die Deutschen/Bremer unter euch: die Breminale), and i think i never really came to talk about that here on my blog. So. I was pretty nervous, but this wasn't my first public reading, so it was okay. We got our own balcony stage that matched our topic ("on the roof"), and i was super happy with my text, a short story titled "Diamond in the Sky". Who knows, maybe i'll publish it on my blog some day :)]

89. Learn to write my name in Japanese
90. Dress up as Alice in Wonderland
91. Finally watch Schindler's List []
92. Learn three new hairstyles (braids, updo...) []
93. Geez, watch Pulp Fiction already! []
94. Wear blood red lipstick (and feel like a lady) []


Luxury

95. Get a tripod
96. Get a vacuum cleaner (Dyson)
97. Get a slim wallet []
98. Visit Japan
99. Re-visit Thailand

[Booked the tickets two weeks ago!! Soooo excited to go to Thailand next spring! I'm travelling so much this year, it's incredible!]
 
100. Put 1 buck into a piggy bank every week until the end of Day Zero Project. With that money do something decadent. [111/143]
101. Get rid of 101 things! []
 




Maisy




(\(\
( - -)
((') (')

Popular