Maisy ❤ August 2015

reading time: ca. 2 min

I'm back from my adventure holidays in Tyrol, Austria (a City Capture will follow soon), back to everyday life and my working routine, so here goes this month's media round-up.

(The only advantage to that is that i will also have more time to read, hopefully finish some of my Day Zero Project tasks and watch movies again... sigh.)

Read: This Dad Has Been Tattooing His Son's Drawings On His Own Arm Since He Was 5 (2015)

source: boredpanda

I was too busy being on holidays to read. No seriously, i was working on term papers for like a month, so the only thing i "read" was an audio book and this article that fascinated me, so i wanted to share it with you.

It's as the title of the article already says: this cool dad with an awesome beard has been turning drawings by his son Kai into tattoos that already cover his right arm. Such a brilliant idea! And it actually looks really cool!

That's what the dad, Keith Anderson, has to say about his body art: "Recently, my son was there with me and he did some of the tattooing himself. He loves it. No one I know has ever heard of tattooing original kid art before, and it's a lot of fun… People ask me what will happen if I run out of space; I guess I'll just get him to draw smaller pictures."


Watched: The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994)

source: imdb

I've watched a couple of great films lately, including Ex Machina, Das Boot, Sin Nombre and Trainspotting. But the one that struck me most was a film that i'd been wanting to see for the longest time but didn't because i somehow thought it would be too dark and cruel for me to enjoy. And that film was The Shawshank Redemption.

The Plot: 
As i am probably the only one in the entire universe who hasn't watched this film yet (it is listed as the Number One of the Top 250 Movies of all time after all), so i'll keep it short. 
Andy Dufresne is a young and successful banker whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment at Shawshank prison for the murder of his wife and her lover. Life seems to have taken a turn for the worse, but fortunately Andy befriends some of the other inmates, in particular a character known only as Red.

The Acting:
Other than just the message of this movie the acting was phenomenal. I had high expectations, watching this film, and it did not disappoint me. Tim Robbins gave one of the greatest performances ever. He was inspiring, intelligent and most of all positive (even though his innocent face left me wondering for almost the entire movie whether or not he had actually killed his wife). His performance just made me smile for some reason. His inmate friend Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding is played by Morgan Freeman, who gives the finest performance of his career. These two together make a strong performance that will evoke your emotions easily. No corny dialogues, no unnecessary words. 

I love the fact that they took the time they needed, so that every scene could unfold itself in the best way. Emotions can arise and unfold, tension is generously built up, and every moment is gloried in. As i was watching this i honestly thought to myself: Wow, i'm so happy they didn't rush through the scenes as they would probably do nowadays. Good things take time.

(Really, the only little thing that i have to criticise is the very ending. i would've preferred the movie to end after the bus scene, but oh well.)

The Message:
Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free. 

Maisy rates: 9.5/10 


Listened toAin't Nobody (Loves Me Better) (Felix Jaehn ft. Jasmine Thompson)



This playlist is definitely a recap of our trip to Austria last week:

Blame by Calvin Harris
Five Hours by Deorro
Blue (Da Ba Dee) by Eiffel 65
Insomnia by Faithless
The Riddle by Gigi D'Agostino
No Good by Prodigy
These Boots Are Made for Walkin' by Nancy Sinantra
So Weit Wie Noch Nie by Jürgen Paape
Are You With Me by Lost Frequencies
Dance With Somebody by Mando Diao
Spree Ahoi by Thomas Lizzara ft. Steven Coulter








Maisy



(\(\
( - -)
((') (')

Popular