Day Zero Project: update 15

Schaffe, strebe, aber lebe. (Accomplish, strive, but be alive) ~ Franz Haniel


The Day Zero Project.

101 tasks in 1001 days.

Update 15




Starts: June 19, 2013

Ends: March 16, 2016


Tasks achieved so far: 58/101


Education

01. Graduate College []
02. Get a job (or a traineeship)
03. Learn to change a tire
04. Learn the alphabet in sign language Spanish

[did i mention: i'm taking a Spanish course! My entire flat, three other friends and I have signed up for a language course in our adult education center until June, and we're already half way through! Spanish is such a beautiful language, and so similar to English, i love it!]

05. Get a frickin driver's licence


Home

06. Buy a plant and try to keep it alive until the Day Zero Project is over 
07. Get my own apartment
08. Plant a windowsill herb garden []
 
[This, ladies n gents, is some homegrown cress and arugula sprouts! They took only a few days to grow and it's such a lot of fun to run into the kitchen every morning and check for some new green leaves that have grown over night! :) The arugula sprouts taste exactly like arugula (lettuce), and they are perfect for sprinkling on top of pasta, pizza, sandwiches, toast, scrambled eggs, and what not!]

09. Redecorate and/or renovate my room []
10. Start a compost bin
11. Get a (white metal) bed []
12. Paint one wall or door an outrageous colour
13. Plant tomatoes and or other fruit and vegetables


Health & Happiness

14. Donate blood (or hair) for a good cause (I'm anaemic)
15. Learn the basic Yoga positions []
16. Quit coffee and sell my coffee machine [♥] 
17. Make raw vegan ice cream [♥]
18. Quit facebook/the internet/my laptop for a week [♥]
19. Make a list of 101 quotes that inspire me []
20. Make a list of 25 things I like about myself []
21. Go barefoot for a whole day []
22. Write a letter to myself to open in 10 years []
23. Write all my bad memories on paper, burn this paper afterwards []
24. Think of the top 5 people who have positively influenced me and write each of them a letter
25. Make a list of 101 things that make me happy [♥]


Family & Friends

26. Make a marzipan birthday cake for someone dear to me []
27. Surprise my mum with flowers []
28. Send Christmas cards to friends and family []
29. Cook a nice dinner for my parents []
30. Have a family picnic in the woods
31. Visit my childhood home []
32. Contact my estranged granddad before he dies []


Creativity

33. Start a blog []
34. Decorate a mug or bowl with a sharpie
35. Draw a self-portrait
36. Buy a disposable camera and take 1 picture every day for a month []
37. Start a sketchbook and fill it with drawings and quotes and own scribblings
38. Write my first screenplay
39. Illustrate a story I've written []
40. Write and illustrate a graphic novel
41. Read 1 book every week (a.k.a 52 books in a year) [91/143]

42. Participate in NaNoWriMo []
43. Make British scones and clotted cream
44. Design an outfit
45. Make cookie monster cupcakes []

[Finally! I've come around to make some - may i say so myself - awesome cute cookie monster cupcakes!! This was part of the birthday present for my boyfriends's sister who freaked out a bit (in a good way though) when she saw what we had whipped up for her! :)]


[To make these baby blue beauties, we simply used a plain wheat muffin recipe with chocolate drops, made some baby blue coconut "fur" from shredded coconut dyed with blue food coloring, then made a baby blue frosting from powdered sugar, water and blue food coloring, made the crazy eyes from marzipan and chocolate drops, and last but not least the cookies for the monsters to munch on, which were American cookies that we broke in half and stuck into the monsters' mouth slit. 

And there you have it: Cookie Monster Cupcakes!

As you can see, we also made an amazing puppy shaped triple chocolate cake by the name Jonny with cherry chocolate pudding inside and marzipan ears, snout and eyes on top (except for the template that i drew (peeping out to the left) and the 3D marzipan ears which i shaped, the full credit for the puppy cake goes to my boyfriend!!), as well as a Hedgehog Cake, an Egg Liqueur Cream Cake, and a raw vegan gluten-free Strawberry Almond Cake that was made for me especially!]

46. Write a song (and sing it to somebody)
47. Write a poem
48. Make a handmade greeting card [] 
49. Cook 5 meals from 5 different cultures [] 
50. DIY an outfit (t-shirt print?) or sew my own piece of clothing (dress/top/jacket)
51. Make a comic strip
52. Draw a nice little background sketch for my blog wallpaper 
53. DIY an Advent calender and give it to someone as a present
54. Construct a detailed zombie apocalypse plan
55. Make my own earrings []
56. Make my own handbag (or notebook bag)  
57. Write/Finish a novel


Fun

58. Go to a festival
59. Have a bonfire at the beach
60. Go strawberry picking [♥]
61. Read the Lord of the Rings (1087 pages) []
62. Read all of the Akira graphic novels (2146 pages) [
]
63. Go swimming in the sea at night / go skinny dipping
64. Build a proper sandcastle
65. Build a decent snow(wo)man [
]


[I knew going on a hiking trip through mountains and snow was a good idea! Especially since we ended up building this snow(wo)man / pig / red-eyed witch on Holy Saturday :D Decorated with dried cranberries , almonds and peanuts. I'd call this one a decent snow(wo)man. People actually took photos of her! Cool, eh? I called her Miss Piggy by the way. Not sure what's up with her boobies though O_O]


[of course we had to do an inappropriate photo shooting with Miss Piggy, the wolf in sheep's clothing and my kangaroo - whoops. (if you saw my City Capture: London post, you saw a whole lot of my little keychain kangaroo as well because he's my travel companion, i call him Hopsie)

Mission accomplished.

And there you can see me, the main artist of this masterpiece. Though my boyfriend played a major part in creating the snow(wo)man / witch / sow, too. But the pictures prove: the credit totally goes to me ;)]
 
66. Sleep under the stars
67. Make a chalk mural in the driveway
68. Dance in the rain
69. Get a tattoo
70. Do a vintage tea party

71. Bake and build a gingerbread house []
72. Watch the sunrise and sunset in the same day
[] 

[Here's another sunrise & sunset for you! Just because it's so damn pretty...]
// Sunrise: March 8th, 2015, 6:41 am. 
// Location: Germany, Bremen.


// Sunset: March 8th, 2015, 6:13 pm. 
// Location: Germany, Bremen.


Such a beautiful world we live in. 
Do you appreciate how different and incredible every single sunrise and sunset looks?

73. Leave an inspirational note inside a book for whoever will find it []
74. Host a mystery dinner party
75. Plant a tree on Earth Day
[]


[Yes! Finally, i did it! I planted a tree on Earth Day (April 22), and i'm so proud of my little green tree child! Not sure whether it's a hazel or a beech though, but i've decided it's going to grow into a beautiful hazel, no matter what. Kinda like the Ugly Duckling, which used to be my favourite fairytale as a child, by the way :)

It was a bloody lot of work to dig out a hole because the spot we chose was near a river amidst reeds and loads of underground roots. I'm not sure you can see that on the photographs, but we actually buried a small bottle of Kräuterschnaps (herbal liqueur or spiced liqueur) under the tree because supposedly that's a tradition and brings luck or something like that - or maybe it's just another excuse for people to drink booze, haha! Anyway, before burying it, we emptied a small bottle of bitters each (i rarely ever drink alcohol any more), named the tree baby "Hazel", and drank to its health.

You can view my full post on Earth Day and home gardening over here, how i came by this tree, how i grow my own sprouts, planted a mint plant... and and and!

Now, live long and prosper, little Hazel!]
 
76. Tie a note (or a secret) to a balloon and let it go [
]
77. Spend 24 hours in a 24-hour café
78. Carve a pumpkin (and make pumpkin soup pumpkin spice latte!) []
79. Make berry jam [♥]
 

80. Learn how to juggle (with three balls)
81. Open a cookbook to a random page and make whatever is on it []

http://be-alice.blogspot.com/2015/05/glazed-roasted-carrots-eggplant-hummus.html

[admittedly, i used the cookbook Vegan für Faule ("Vegan for lazy people" :)) for this, so it would be something not too fancy - but anyway, that is the result of me opening my brand new vegan cookbook to a random page: Warmer Möhrensalat ("warm carrot salad", basically roasted carrots with sunflower seeds, hot spices and in my case eggplant hummus - super yummy!). 
Pictured above are a) the original page that i opened at random, and b) my copycat version of that! Here's the recipe :)]

82. Wear a free-hugs sign or shirt for a day
83. Organize a clothing swap party
84. Bake a big-ass rainbow cake []
85. Make fortune cookies []
86. Take a photo of the same place every month for a year and turn that into a calendar [2/12]

March 2015


April 2015


87. Make macarons []
88. Send a book or story to a publisher
89. Learn to write my name in Japanese
90. Dress up as Alice in Wonderland
91. Finally watch Schindler's List []
92. Learn three new hairstyles (braids, updo...) []
93. Geez, watch Pulp Fiction already! []
94. Wear blood red lipstick (and feel like a lady) []


Luxury

95. Get a tripod
96. Get a vacuum cleaner (Dyson)
97. Get a slim wallet []
98. Visit Japan
99. Re-visit Thailand
100. Put 1 buck into a piggy bank every week until the end of Day Zero Project. With that money do something decadent. [85/143]
101. Get rid of 101 things! []
 




Maisy




(\(\
( - -)
((') (')

Popular