15 quick tips to improve your health
reading time: ca. 1 min
1. Drink lots of WATER. Start with 1 glass right after waking up.
2. Have a big BREAKFAST.
3. Get ACTIVE. Start each day with moderate exercise.
4. MINDFUL eating. Take your time and appreciate the smell, the taste, the texture, and of course the taste... ENJOY every bite :) *
5. Sleep is your best friend. If you're tired you are more likely to ditch the gym and make poor food choices. Get at least 7-8 hours of REST every night.
6. Do NOT diet. Ever. ** Do not (ab)use eating for choking your emotions or for trying to gain control over your life.
7. Eat REGULARLY. Aim to eat every 3-4 hours throughout the day, making a total of 5-6 meals per day.
8. LISTEN to your cravings. You can practice to write them down, write down your mood, and try to figure out what it is you ACTUALLY want.
9. Keep your room CLEAR of any clutter or unhealthy diet choices. Out of sight, out of mind. Clean off your desk and room once a month or even once a week to maintain focus and creativity.
10. Take a NAP instead of watching TV to RELAX. Rest. Look after yourself. RESPECT your body.
11. STAY AWAY from processed food, soda drinks and alcohol. Booze is just empty calories with no nutritional value whatsoever.
12. TAKE ONE DAY OFF per week (e.g. Saturday or Sunday) where you don't turn on your computer or check your smartphone. Instead, spend your time on CREATIVE or RECREATIONAL activities such as going for a walk, drawing, reading, spring cleaning, meeting friends, journalling, working out...
13. Avoid going grocery shopping when you're HUNGRY. Similar to being tired, the tendency here is to make poor food choices. When it comes to shopping for clothes (or other objects), WAIT 48 hours before buying anything! That way you avoid impetuous decisions.
14. Make it a habit to PREPARE your meals and snacks the night before and store them in the fridge for the next day. This will make your mornings easier, and help to keep you on track.
15. End your day with WRITING a diary or a To-Do list for the next day. PRIORITIZE: What's important for now, and for the following day? Practice GRATITUDE: What are you grateful for this day? Focus on what really matters.
Lastly, think positively. You are what you think, all the time.
* if you're struggling to eat more consciously, try either eating with chopsticks or using your non-dominant hand! This will help you slow down. Also, try to chew on each bite around 30 times.
** Do NOT consume less than 1200cals for women and 1600cals for men in a day. Starving will NOT help to lose weight and it certainly won't make you happy!
( - -)