The Best Hot Chocolate (that happens to be vegan)

reading time: 2 min

hot chocolate, vegan, drink, non-dairy, dessert, recipe, snack, chocolate



Today you're in for a treat

To be honest, I haven't had real hot chocolate in years! And by "real" I don't mean the cocoa that comes in the packets, as I refuse to drink that stuff which is mostly just sugar, skim milk powder and little chocolate. I also don't mean the good quality cacao powder whisked into almond milk (which is also quite nice) - I mean the rich "melt real chocolate in your milk" type.

Decadent, right?

Hot chocolate is my favourite hot drink during the colder winter months. I especially love it during the afternoon, when it is too late for me to go for a cup of coffee. Hot Chocolate actually has a mild stimulating effect as well, but without shaking up your nervous system before you go to sleep.

For the milk I used vegan hazelnut drink, and for the chocolate I used a small bar of vegan dark nougat chocolate. If I could take a bath in this, I totally would.

I decided to top my hot chocolate with soy whipped cream, because if you are going to have dessert, then have dessert!

 

THE BEST HOT CHOCOLATE

Preparation time: 10 mins
Main ingredients: hazelnut milk, chocolate
difficulty level: easy
makes: 1 large mug or 2 smaller cups
suitable for: vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, soy-free
 
Ingredients

  • 300 ml (2 1/2 cups) hazelnut milk (or any other plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk, but hazelnut is the best!)
  • 40 g (1/4 cup) dark vegan chocolate
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder, cocoa powder or carob powder
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1 - 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • vegan whipped cream (optional but highly recommended)
  • a piece of your mum's delicious vegan nut cake (very optional but again, very much recommended)


Instructions

In a small saucepan, heat hazelnut milk and chocolate while constantly stirring. Do this on medium-low heat, or else the milk will burn. Add the cacao powder, cinnamon and a pinch of salt, and whisk well until dissolved. Stir/whisk until the chocolate has melted completely. As soon as the milk begins to steam - not boil! - take it off the heat

Pour your hot chocolate into a mug and serve with a dollop of vegan whipped cream and a piece of cake.


TIPS: 
- You could also serve this with foamy plant-based milk instead of whipped cream, using a simple milk frother. 
- If you like it a little more spicy, you could also add in a pinch of chili powder - that goes great with the dark chocolate!
- For Peppermint Hot Chocolate, simply add a couple of fresh mint sprigs to your saucepan (strain to remove the sprigs before serving) OR add a drop of peppermint oil.
- Get your mom/husband/wife to make you some cake. Or make it yourself :)



Matching the adorable fox mug, I put on my fox print blouse to sip on my hot chocolate (my obsession with foxes is serious) and immediately burnt my tongue. Careful, it's hot...



Wishing you all a lovely and peaceful 2nd Advent!




Maisy


0 Comments